Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It's a boy!!!!

So, last week (heck.... every week...) was a little bit crazy busy, so I never got a chance to write about our ultrasound on Monday. So, here it goes.

As I said in this past post, I kind of thought we were having a boy. However, I had a lot of doubt behind that feeling because I've never really felt "built" to have a boy. Let me explain.

I grew up with one sister. The only cousins we had, though three boys, all lived a minimum of three hours away. I think that because my parents had two girls, I always assumed that Mike and I would have two little girls, too. I'm a creature of comfort, what can I say? So boys are really pretty foreign to me. I'm not sure how to interact with little guys because I'm more of the "touchy feel-y" type mom than the "rough and tumble" type mom. (Yes, I'm stereotyping, I know.)

Throughout this pregnancy, I've often wondered if my feelings of detachment were linked more to the miscarriage, or to whether it had more to do with the gender. Now, after finding out our baby's gender, I know that it had everything to do with the miscarriage and very little to do with the gender because, well, I'm ECSTATIC to be having a boy.

Don't get me wrong, there's a little bit of disappointment in not knowing that Liana will get a sister at some point. My sister is one of my best friends and I've so desperately wanted Liana to have that kind of sisterhood, too. Also, the practical side of me worries that ALL Liana's stuff won't get used twice.... I look around at all the "girly" things we have in this house and I wonder if it'll ever serve a purpose again.

But if it doesn't, that was God's plan. (And yes, I know there are plenty of friends I can share these things with. When we're done having kids, I will certainly be doing that.) If there's one thing I've learned from the past year it's that I have very little control over this life I call my own and I'm definitely more accepting of that now than I was at this time last year.

So on Monday, the moment our ultrasonagrapher asked the question, "Do you want to know?" and I, without even letting her finish the question, blurted out "YES!", my heart felt an anticipation that was unrivaled. For in that moment, I was finding out (almost) exactly what this family of ours was going to look like.... something I've wondered about for as long as I can remember.

And when she pointed to that little speck on the screen that so clearly screamed "IT'S A BOY!", I was lovestruck. I looked over at Mike and the smile on his face said it all. Never have I been so sure of the fact that in that moment, he couldn't have been happier. Tears welled within my eyes.

Even better, everything else on that ultrasound screen looked good, too. A heart with four beating chambers. A perfectly formed spine and brain. Two hands, two feet. One very perfect little profile.
Our little guy... the profile shot.

Looking almost straight on at his face.

Another profile shot.
What a happy mama that made me. What a wave of relief it brought over me.

Our appointment wasn't long, but it was just long enough that by the time we got back to the car, I had more than a couple of people impatiently reminding me via text messages that they were waiting for our big news. So, the news spread.... quickly. As we drove out of the parking lot, Mike and I just looked at each other with shock written all over our faces. For me, it was the shock of, "I'm really having a boy? I'm really having a boy. Wow." For him it was the shock of, "I'M REALLY HAVING A BOY?! OH MY GOSH, I'M REALLY HAVING A BOY!" (See the differences there?!)

The rest of the day, it slowly started to sink in. The next day, the shock began to wear off and the excitement began to brew. Not only was I excited for everything a little boy would hold for me but I was even more excited about everything a little boy would hold for Mike. A son to play hockey with? And coach? To take golfing on Father's Day or to play baseball with in the summer? Someone who might actually go fishing with him? It's all so, so wonderful.

I got my girl....someone to go shopping with. Watch girly movies with. Plan a wedding for. I get to watch my daughter carry her babies and I'll get to shower those babies with love someday and hopefully be as involved as she'll let me. Because us girls, we have those special bonds with our mothers. And I just don't think I could've done without that.

And now Mike's getting his boy.... someone to play sports with. Watch hockey games with. Give advice to. And do all the other stuff that dads do with their sons.

A week later I feel like the news has fully sunk in. While I'm still a bit nervous at times, I'm more excited, more joyful and more thrilled than anything. Now the planning begins and I'm already in the depths of shopping for a sweet little boy. We've got a lot of preparing to do this summer before we hope to meet him come the end of October.

We hope to have Liana transitioning out of the nursery by the end of next month. So, the hunt for her "big girl" bedroom is on.

Speaking of Liana..... my sweet little pea who thought we were so surely having a "baby girl" when given the choice between "Does Mama have a baby boy or a baby girl in her belly?"..... well she's quickly adapted to the idea of having a baby brother. Her new thing is to pull up my shirt to check out my belly button and say, "Mama's got a baby brother in her belly. Can we see him?" I keep telling her that in just a few months, we'll all be face to face with this new addition of ours. While I know she's adjusting well to the thought of a new brother, I know it won't be that easy when she actually has to adjust to the presence of one. But like everything, we'll try to take it in stride because I know our two peanuts will end up loving each other regardless. They have to, right?! ;)

So, mom's of little boys, don't hesitate to share with me all the reasons you LOVED having a little boy. Because while I've heard a few such reasons, it never hurts to hear more and it gets me even more excited for what's to come. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment