Monday, November 12, 2012

Lukas is ONE!

Two weeks ago, my little boy turned one.

Seriously, where does the time go?

I look at him now and can't believe how quickly this past year flew by.

We celebrated by having a smaller party than usual, considering our living space is a bit smaller than usual. Because I'm only a grade "B" mom, we didn't go crazy and we didn't have a theme. It was boyish. It was simple. It was nice. (Aside from almost everyone on the guest list... which was only family... not RSVP'ing and then only half of those invited actually showed up. That was a bit disappointing.)

 Playing before the party and so happy!
 We opened a present before the party even started... he saw those gifts and knew just what to do! There was no stopping him. :)
 His blue & green cupcake tree.
 A change in shirts... someone decided to play in the toilet while mom & dad were distracted! So glad I had my coworker LuAnn make two of these! :)
 Birthday cupcakes...
 Yes, you see blue AND green on his face. He wasn't quite done at one. :)
Liana just loved seeing her brother making such a mess... Mom was just glad he kept his hands out of his hair!

Surprisingly enough, I didn't become as emotional with Lukas's first birthday as I did with Liana's. It's not for a lack of absolute love, but we had a lot of stuff going on that weekend as well. I think my head was just elsewhere. 

This little boy has blessed us so greatly in the past year. While the first few months of his life were a bit rough (I think I've said that a few times now!), these last few months have been wonderful.  

Here's a snapshot of Lukas at ONE!

He walks. And runs. We stopped crawling at 10.5 months and never looked back.

He never stops doing the above. He's the busiest little boy I know. If I turn my back for even a minute, he's guaranteed to be in either the toilet, the trash can, or the dog bowls. It drives me nuts! The only time mama gets a break during the day is naptime... and then she has to contend with Liana. (Oh how I miss the days of enjoying my lunch in solitude and getting some "me" time during the day.)

He's obsessed with his lovey and paci. While I see things going down a dangerous path with the pacifier, for now, it maintains my sanity because otherwise he whines. A lot. A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do....

Bedtime is between 7 and 7:30, promptly. Not because we want it to be at that time but because he reaches a certain point in the day and just melts down. And that point comes between 7 and 7:30 like clockwork. Our bedtime routine is simple: diaper changed, jammies on, paci in the mouth, lovey in the arm, kid in the crib. We've tried to get him into a routine of reading books and snuggling for a bit before his head hits the mattress but he just won't have it. Something to work on, I suppose. He sleeps through the night most nights and can go 12-13 hours. When he's teething though, he's usually up at least once for Motrin.

Speaking of teething, poor kid can't catch a break. Last count was 11.... he went from 8 to 11 in one month. He's now working on a few others. I'm guessing that he'll have just about all of his teeth by 18 months at the pace we're moving.

My little man eats like a champ. There isn't anything he won't try. Mike made tilapia one day last week and he even loved that! He eats more than his sister at every meal (usually twice as much if not more) so we often joke that he's going to be bigger than her soon. In reality, I wouldn't be too surprised if that were in fact the case.

At his 12 month checkup, he weighed 22 lbs (35th percentile) and was 31.25 inches (90th percentile) long. He's got a little noggin though as that measures in the 15th percentile. Don't let the number fool you though, he's smart as a whip. His sister also had a small head circumference and she's a freaking genius... not that I'm biased or anything. :)

His favorite words at this point are bye ("byeeee!"), hi ("hyeeee!"), daddy, Liana ("eeaah"), and just recently we caught him saying "yeah". While he has said Mama in the past, it seems that he's mostly forgotten how to use that word unless he's screaming bloody murder.

Lukas is now wearing mostly 18 month clothes, though most pants are still just a tad big around his belly. His shoe size is currently a 5 but we've started buying 6's already because of how quickly he grows out of them.

After noticing some dried blood on his belly button a few different times, we had an ultrasound done last week and it seems he has a herniated umbilical cord. Dr. Maki isn't too concerned as long as things don't start to look worse. We think it becomes irritated when he becomes upset and uses his abdominal muscles to cry. I'm just thankful it doesn't seem to be bad enough to require surgery.

Likes include daily walks in the stroller, bath time, listening to music, testing every limit in the book and talking gibberish to his sister in the car.

Dislikes include being told no, being forced to wait for food (or anything for that matter), getting his diaper changed, watching television, or doing anything that requires sitting still.

Lukas Ryan is one complex little boy which is a vast difference from his sister, who was happy with just about anything. He's got so many different facets to his personality that we're still trying to figure this kid out. I foresee great frustration in my future when it comes to my second-born... after all, he's been the more challenging of the two from the start. But, I also foresee great rewards. I know life will be good because of him and everything he adds to our messy and chaotic life.

Happy first birthday, bugs. I love you.





 

It's a happy chaos. Most of the time. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment