So where has the past month brought us? To totally new places.
In early January, Lukas had his 2 month checkup and weighed in at 12lbs 7oz, was 24 inches long and had a small head (I can't remember the exact head circumference number and I'm too lazy to get up and figure it out). While we won't have another checkup until the end of February, I'm sure the kid is at least 14 lbs by now. Compared to what his sister was at this age, that has qualified him for the nickname "chunky monkey" around the Kadzban household. I can't believe how not-so-little my baby boy now is! It's shocking to me at times when I look at him and realize that my newborn has transformed into this baby. I'd say I want my newborn back but the reality is, I can't do the screaming every day, all day bit over again.
Physically, Lukas's neck control is getting stronger every day. He's great at tummy time but usually only lasts for 5-10 minutes before he starts screaming for me to pick him up. He loves the sound of a rattle and will follow it across the room. He also loves to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with his big sister, probably because of all the bright & bold colors. He's still not a fan of being put down but will stay in his bouncer seat for up to 30 minutes at times. His swing is still a no-go... he absolutely hates it and I just don't get that!Personality-wise, things have gotten better and worse. The one thing that hasn't changed is my little boy's temper.... it's a sight to be seen! I always explain to people how he goes from 0 to 60 in 30 seconds flat and I have a feeling they don't believe me until they see it for themselves. When he wants to eat, sleep, or be changed, he wants it NOW. His cry is more like a shrill, screeching scream and I worry that he's going to destroy my already poor hearing. When he cries, his face turns beat red and those beautiful blue eyes make the biggest crocodile tears I've ever seen. It's pitiful and usually it's all over nothing.
We may have a drama king on our hands to go perfectly along side his sister, the reigning drama queen of our house these days. I'm sure Mike and I have lots of "good" times to look forward to still. ;)
There are some fun sides to his personality coming out though. The kid's smile will light up a room with just one flash. He's starting to giggle and best of all, he's "talking" up a storm these days. There are times, like this morning, where he just babbles for 10-15 minutes on end. I love hearing that sweet little voice! He's found his new favorite toys - his fists - and he sucks on them like they've got milk coming out of every little wrinkle. He's taking in his environment more and more and loves to look around whatever room he's in.While still short, his hair is starting to fill in and it's pretty apparent that he's going to be another little blondie like his sister. He loves his bath as it seems to help calm and relax him. Bath time is always special for another reason too.... Liana loves to help give her brother a bath. She gets her stool and stands right next to me while he sits in his tub on the counter. With her own washcloth, it's usually her job to wash his belly or his feet while Mom takes care of the rest.
At bedtime, Mike and I divide and conquer. Mike puts Liana to bed every night.... multiple times! While she typically heads upstairs between 7:30 and 8pm, Lukas and I sit tight downstairs for his last meal before bed. By 8:30 he's usually swaddled and in bed, which is now his crib. We made the transition from his bassinet to his crib earlier this week and while I was quite anxious about "letting him go", I knew I had to as he was quickly going to outgrow the bassinet and I didn't want him to get any more attached to it than he already was. Since moving to his nursery, things have been going well. We're doing all of our night-time feedings in his rocking chair instead of downstairs and I'm finding that I enjoy it more like that.
Sleep is still a major issue. While at 2 months he was waking only once a night, he's now waking up twice a night. It's amazing the difference that second nighttime feeding makes! When he was waking up once, I was getting a good 5-6 hour stretch of sleep in before he woke up and then usually another three hours after his feeding. With him waking twice now, I have to go to bed by 9 or 10pm (usually 9) in order to feel even halfway rested as he wakes me between 12 and 1 and then again between 4 and 5. Without that long stretch, I'm feeling pretty exhausted as my body can't hit those deep sleep cycles that leave me feeling rested. It's making for a miserable mommy who's short and snippy with those around her... something I feel pretty terrible about. But still, I know that this could be much worse and I just keep reminding myself that at some point, we'll both sleep better again.
Naps during the day still feel non-existent. The mornings are the same as they were at 2 months... wake up around 7:30, feed, and go back down for a 30 minute nap by 9am. At that point I shower (even though I just want to nap too....) and get Liana and myself ready for the day. Later in the morning he'll take another 30 minute nap and during the afternoon, I'm lucky if I get two more. It baffles me why he won't sleep longer than this but from what I've read online, it seems that this is common with babies his age. Selfishly, I wish he would sleep more because then it would give me a chance to rest myself or do something around the house. By far, this is what I've struggled the most as I get absolutely no "me" time during the day unless it includes shipping my kids off to my parents for a few hours. Having a quiet lunch while watching one of my DVR'ed shows really goes a long way for my sanity these days... unfortunately, it happens rarely.Since going back to work last week, Lukas has been taking more bottles but I almost always breastfeed him when he's home with me. The kids spend Wednesdays and every other Thursday with my dad and then go to my grandparents on Fridays. So far, things have been going smoothly and while I was initially worried as to how my dad would do with a baby as young as Lukas, he's doing great! Last week, on his second "official" day of watching my little guy, Lukas puked on four outfits, had a poop explosion in another, and peed all over my dad. I couldn't help but laugh when he told me this after I got out of work and when I got home, I told Mike, "Well, if he could make it through today, I have no doubt he'll make it through anything else."
While part of me hates being back to work, there's another part that welcomes the "break" it brings. It feels good to get out of the house a few days a week and interact with other adults.
Liana continues to be quite the little "mommy" to Lukas... and now mimics me whenever she interacts with him. She says a few key phrases that I often have said to him, like "Hi bud!!" or "Hey buggy!" in exactly the same tone (long, high-pitched and drawn out) I use. Every time he cries, she says, "Mama, Lukas is crying! He needs to be fed!". She's so attentive to him and he loves her for it. One of my favorite things (though slightly annoying at times) is how she uses Lukas as a tool to get whatever she wants. For example: "Mama, Lukas reaaaally wants to watch Einstein right now." Good grief, this kid is too smart for her own good. I'm probably going to pay the price for that some day. :)
Happy 3 Months baby boy! We love you to the moon!
No comments:
Post a Comment