On to the update.
So, my eyes may be exhausted tonight, but my heart is happy. After a really chaotic week last week at work, this week has slowed down and is manageable... so far. I'm especially thankful for that as it gives me some time to prepare myself mentally for this test I'm about to take.
The icing on the cake came this weekend, though. And in all honesty, this weekend didn't just rock my socks off.... it lit them on fire.
Let me preface this by saying that I've been waiting for this weekend since mid December, when Kate called to say that despite the fact that she was in Chicago visiting Marty's family, she was having contractions at 34 weeks. After that "scare", we were both shocked into reality that Baby Kranz could be coming any day now. We hoped that Baby Kranz would wait until at least 37 weeks, which she(!) did. As early January rolled around though, we both started getting anxious. Kate's first little one, Lily, (who is only 5 weeks older than Liana) came 10 days early and was nearly 9 lbs. So naturally, we kind of expected baby #2 to come early as well.
Week 37 passed. Week 38 passed. Kate started losing her sanity (sorry Kate, you know it's true!) as she approached week 39. My bags had been packed and I was ready to drive to the east side of the state for nearly a week before the big night came. Finally, on January 26th and 4 days before Kate's due date, baby Kranz was coming. Charlotte (Charley) Renee Kranz was born on the morning of January 27th weighing in at 8 lbs 8oz!!
Unfortunately, Charley decided to do so the night before I was scheduled to go back to work. So again, I waited.
We were scheduled to go for a visit the weekend of Feb 4th and 5th but as is my luck, Liana came down with a cold that week before. So we postponed our visit one.more.week. At this point, it'd been 8 weeks of sitting on pins and needles to meet this little one and I was bursting at the seams with anticipation.
So this past weekend, we FINALLY made the trip to the east side of the state. And I have to say, although I hated the wait, it was WELL worth it.
I often overuse the word amazing... I realize this. But this weekend? Amazing.
First of all, it was my family of three's first time on a "weekend getaway" as a family of three. In nearly three years, Mike and I haven't gotten away together like this except to go to Jamaica last year. And never had we taken Liana on an overnight together.
Second of all, I've become quite accustomed to visiting The Kranz's without my husband because I'd always go during the week. That meant that Marty was usually the only guy in a house full of estrogen... something he's always been very accepting of, but it was nice to bring some testosterone with me for him to enjoy. Our boys bonded. Again. :)
Third, our girls bonded. All three of them!
Back in November, when Liana met Baby Easton, she was NOT fond of me holding another baby. So rightfully so, I was a little anxious to see how she'd do with me showing baby Charley some love. The first time I held Charley in my arms, she looked at me with a concerned face and said "Baby down?" as if saying, "Mom, put that baby down now!" But with some encouragement, she warmed up quickly. She checked on baby Charley all weekend and was fascinated with her.
It took a lot to get him to hold Charley... but once he did, I know he liked it. :)
My heart was simply overjoyed by this. Because it means she's ready.... something I've been quite scared of these past few months. (It also broke my heart a little because I was so fearful for the months I was pregnant that she wouldn't be okay with us bringing a new baby into the family... and now I know she would've been but there's no baby to be had.)
It was official: Liana loved Charley. As for Liana and Lily?
Bliss. These girls of ours bonded this weekend. My heart just skips a beat thinking about it. They didn't leave each others sides except for naptime and bedtime. In the morning, the first thing Liana asked for was Lily... and vice versa! While Kate and I were a little nervous as to how well they'd share, they did fantastic. There wasn't a sore spot in the entire weekend.
The initial re-introduction... it'd been 3 months since they've seen each other!
We spent Sunday, which was Lily's 2nd birthday, at Bounce Party. Liana loved it a little more than Lily did... but they both did GREAT!
Ms. Meg reading to our girls. She's the toddler whisperer. ;)
Valentines Day was spent at Ikea before heading home... our girls were loving on each other big time by this point!
Almost best of all, I got to spend 48 hours with one of my best friends. Bond with her newest baby. See up close and personal what it looks like to have two kids. And I have to say, it looks a lot like this:Kate's friendship means more to me than most. To be on the front lines and watch her family grow means more than anyone can even imagine. Our husbands give each other an endless amount of crap... which in guy language only means they kind of dig each other. ;) I can tell Kate anything. And all of this is only reiterated each time we have visits like this.
We came home on Monday and as usual, I had a sinking feeling in my gut. Because two of our closest friends, and two(!) of Liana's, are three hours away. I hate that. We've been home 48 hours now... the same amount of time we were there... and Liana hasn't stopped talking about The Kranz's.
Kate.
Marty.
Lily.
Charley.
And even Jager. :)
Someday, I hope our friends are back on the west side of the state. Until then... we'll have these visits to look forward to. <3
LOVE to read your posts! So glad that you got to spend some quality time with some good friends! Liana is going to be an AMAZING big sister someday! As for the 2 year birthday party... do what you want to do... if you want a party by all means have a great time! We had one for our boys, and then this year (3) we are doing a family celebration. Hope this helps! XOXO
ReplyDeleteApril