Tuesday, August 30, 2011

"That mom". (29 months style.)

(Let this entry serve as proof that my kid isn't always as sweet as I make her out to be. And that parenting isn't for the weak of heart!)

So, 29 months is now upon us and Little Miss Liana is showing us snippets to a side of her I'm not terribly fond of.

Apparently in this household, 29 months brings with it:
Obstinence.
Challenges.
Frustration.
Attitude.
Testing the limits.
Large quantities of the word "NO!".
Everything taking 10x longer than it should.
Less fear.
More risk.

Oh, sweet Liana.... you're becoming more like your mother every day. In some ways, that's okay. In other ways, I know I'm going to be in for it.

Today I had the displeasure of being "that mom" for the very first time. I have to say, I wasn't a fan of it.

While running a few errands, things were going wonderfully. Liana was sitting in the cart like a champ, entertaining herself as she needed to, hamming it up with whoever was closest. Then, we hit our last and final store and things quickly fell apart.

Now, my kid is typically pretty good about staying close to Mommy and Daddy when we're out and about. I usually have her in the cart at the store unless there is another adult with me but as she was doing so well this morning, I decided to give her a little bit of freedom.

The first 15 minutes went by just fine as she stuck close to me just as she was supposed to. But once she saw the toys and only minutes later had most of them scattered across the aisle floor, I should have known things would only go downhill from here. I should've scooped her up and into the cart at that point and swiftly buckled her little 26 lb body in... not for her sake, but for mine. Oh how hindsight is always 20/20. ;)

So she found a truck. A pink one. And she wanted to push it. And push it. And push it. Until she was now no longer in sight of her mama... the golden rule when she's "being a big girl" and walking. Stay close to me, you'll have your freedom. If you go out of my sight, it's gone.

After a few stearn, "Liana Grace?! Where are you?! You need to stay close to Mommy so I can see you's...." I was getting annoyed. Probably because I could sense that the lady my mother's age standing in the aisle behind me was getting annoyed herself with me and my "misbehaving" child. (Yeah, she had that judgmental look to her face we all cringe at. I'm also pretty sure she took her time in said aisle because she wanted to see this drama unfold... glad I could be your entertainment for the afternoon lady!) After about 5 minutes of letting Liana test her limits and taking them further, and further, and further, my patience was wearing thin.

So I did what any mother would do. "Liana Grace, come back here right now or you're going in the cart."

And very loudly she responded, "NO!". With that naughty, "I know what I'm doing is wrong but I think it's funny anyways" grin stretched across her face.

I didn't smile. I didn't laugh. It took everything in me not to.

Very slowly and deliberately, I said, "Liana Grace, you come back here. If you can't stay next to Mommy then it's time to get in the cart."

"NO!"

And as the steam started to blow like a whistle out of my ears, I started walking toward her. By this time, we were in the main aisle.... where EVERYONE could see.

She ran. For her life I'm sure.... because she knew what was coming at her. And yet, she laughed. (Maybe cackle would be a more appropriate term?!)

So I was at that crossroads. Do I let her run out of my sight, get scared, and come back herself? That would teach her. Or do I chase after her, in the process allowing myself to become "that mom"?

Had it not been the automatic doors on the front of the store that could've easily released her into the wild of the parking lot, I would've let her run. Swear.to.God.

But the thought of my kid being crushed by a car just doesn't sit well with me. (Go figure.) So, I chased... in a deliberate, speed walk, "I'm 30 weeks pregnant and too tired to deal with this crap" kind of way. All the mean while, yelling "LIANA GRACE! GET OVER HERE NOW!".

Yep, I had become "that mom". The one I had hoped never to be.

She stood, 15 feet ahead of me, and laughed. In my face. With everyone watching. If I took a step, she took five. There was no way of grabbing her without running like a lunatic through the store.

I took a deep, "Don't cry Haley. Don't cry." breath.

And then I did the only thing I thought might work.

"Okay Liana. I'm leaving. Bye bye!" and started to walk away.

Thankfully, she didn't call my bluff. It didn't take more than two seconds before she was chasing after me, saying "Mommy I come! Mommy I come!".

To which I abruptly turned around and scooped her up in the "I may be the angriest mom on the planet right now" kind of way. I took the pink truck away from her and assertively put it back on the shelf. She knew instantly she had done wrong and as I buckled her into the cart, she cried. Sad tears. Angry tears. "Why is my mommy being mean to me and taking my pink truck away?" tears.

And after I angrily told her that running from her mommy is naughty, I ignored those cries. When she asked for her truck, I simply said "No." No comfort. No hugs or kisses.

My kid got the cold shoulder in the worst possible way.

And I won't lie.....I felt better.

See, the thing she doesn't yet realize is that I'm as stubborn as they come when I want to be (shocking, I know). In a battle vs. wills, I'll win. I'm surprised she didn't learn that lesson last week when I put her in at least 10 consecutive time-outs for refusing to help pick up the mess she had made at my parents house.

Yes, I wanted to break down and cry out of frustration. But I didn't. This mom is as loving as they come.... but is also tough as nails when she has to be.

Lesson learned, Liana Grace?!

Probably not. Yet. :)

29 months has posed us with lots of wonderful qualities and moments. Almost as equally though, it's posed us with some difficult ones.

I know things are going to get more complicated in the "discipline" department from here on out. I know that sometime all too soon, she'll be calling my bluff and as I pretend to leave her behind, it won't affect her. God only knows what I'll do at that point. Will I be the mom dragging her misbehaving preschooler out of the store by one arm?! Only time will tell. I hope not.

And to think... we're about to add to this madness in just a few short weeks. God, help me. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Haley! I love it...I'm just reading this picturing everythign and laughing because I UNDERSTAND! about the lady the aisle over, totally get it..and you said it so perfectly, " glad I could be your entertainment" ( and also source of " why kids are they way they are these days" talks at home ) great job handling it Haley :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, I think you handled that situation perfectly! There will be many more I am sure! And soon you will have 2! CRAZINESS! But, it will be CRAZY hard at first, and then, once that baby is 6 months, your life will be wonderful! thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete