Friday, May 28, 2010

Soaking it up.

Yesterday was simply... amazing. Full of love, smiles, and enjoyment.

It was drenched in time as a family... just the three of us. And, I loved every.single.second of it.

Our first family day since, well, I don't know when was perfect. (Well, aside from me having the worst back pain of my life, but we'll just pretend that never happened. The day seems better that way.)

Honest to God, I don't know when the last day we had together like this was. Despite the fact that I've taken a few days off on the weekends for Liana's 1st birthday party or for Christmas, I'm certain we haven't had a "do whatever we want to do together" day in at least 6 months. If you know my husband and his ridiculous work schedule, you'll know this is true. The man hasn't taken a sick day in over a year and I don't remember the last time he took a day off mid-week. So yeah, this was WELL overdue!

Anyways, here's the magic of our day. I made sure to capture as many moments as possible, in either pictures or words, just to share with all of you :)

The day started off nice and early at 7:15 with our typical alarm clock going off... the awakening squeals of Liana Grace through the baby monitor. Have I ever mentioned how much I love waking up to the sound of her voice rather than some stupid buzzer? It's the perfect start to my day. And even though we can't push "snooze" on this alarm clock, we're just fine with that because walking into her bedroom each morning and seeing the smile on her face (behind the paci, of course) is the best wakeup call there is. I used to hate mornings but now, now I love them. Our mornings are full of hope and promise for the day to come.

So, we got up. Got ready. And while I jumped in the shower, I had my husband there to watch our child. No showering as fast as I possibly could while hoping that our baby-proofed bedroom had contained our child for at least 10 minutes. No having those "OMG, she's being really quiet. What if I go out there and she's found something and choked?!" thoughts running through my head. No, for the first time in a while I was able to shower in solitude AND peace of mind. Bliss. :)

Mike and I tag-teamed the shower and as soon as I was out, he was in. We were both ready and out the door at 9am, prepared to take on the day. We headed out to Holland to shop at the Carters Outlet and get Liana some new outfits for summer as well as some more pjs. Though we had planned on going to breakfast, we last-minute ditched that idea as Mike preferred the idea of grabbing some chinese food on the way home. Liana fell asleep in her car seat right away (the night before had been a late one for her... our power had gone out and she wasn't able to sleep bc it was so warm, so finally Mommy caved and let her go outside to play basketball with the neighbor kids. Pumkin was up til 9:45 and still up at 7:15!) but once we arrived in Holland, the kid perked up immediately. After all, there were ducks (or, as she called them, "Bauers!") to chase after.

5.27 (2)
So, Mommy shopped while Liana chased ducks and Daddy chased Liana. :)
5.27 (5) 
5.27 (9)
5.27 (8) 
And then the pumkin 'declared' that she was tired and wanted to go home. So we headed out, stopping only once more on the way to my favorite baby store of all time, Tip Toes. We picked up the cutest little sandals for our princess and on we went again, heading home. When we arrived, Daddy somehow managed to get Liana from her carseat, where she was again sleeping soundly, to her crib without interrupting the nap. Glorious. We had 2 more hours of nap time and we made the most of it.
5.27 (11) 
Naptime for Ms. Liana.
5.27 (12)
~Daddy making the yard beautiful once again!~
And, in typical Mommy fashion, I took pictures of what my loves were doing during naptime but failed to capture what I did myself. But so you don't feel like you've missed out on any pieces to this "family day" puzzle, I potted my plants on the deck (all the while writhing in back pain) and somehow managed to clean the floors. Well if I'm going to be truthful, I just barely did that second one.

Around 2:45, princess woke up. While I had hoped to take her to the splash pad and play in the fountains, we had dinner plans at 5:30 and I didn't think we'd have enough time to get there, enjoy ourselves, and get back home in time to shower and be ready. So, we made our own splash pad in the front yard, complete with the sprinkler The Kranz's gave Liana for her 1st birthday. The water was brutally cold but still, she loved it!



So we played. I watched my little girl work up the courage to get closer, and closer, and closer to that sprinkler until finally her belly got wet and her hands turned to icicles. But soon the kid realized she wasn't contained and began running down the street and away from her mama, her home, and her sprinkler, so we decided it was time to take the party inside and get ready for our dinner with the Prins'. Baby didn't like that much, but guess what? I'm the mama and I get to decide. (insert evil laugh here)

And from there, I can only say the day got better... though I failed to take any pictures as evidence of the fact. Yep, I suck, I know. We got dressed. Got in the car, and promptly at 5:35 I received a text from Ash saying "Come over!" to which I stalkerishly replied "We're on our way already!". I love that she got a good laugh out of that one but it's like I said to her, we were quite excited to hang out with two of our closest friends for the evening. Dinner was delish and Mike and I both learned that "Juicy Loosey" is another term for "cheeseburger heaven". Liana behaved... unless you count the mass destruction of Ashley's petunia's (sorry Ash!) or the food covering her floor after dinner. Our children of the furry type, Bauer and Moose, I can't say the same for unfortunately. Bauer decided that every.single.one of Ashley's plants was his personal toilet and, well, Moose decided that Fran was his as he abruptly peed on her face and marked his territory. (I could just hear him thinking, "SHE'S MINE!" as he did it too. frickin dogs.) Only my dogs would do this and I really hope it's not a reflection of my parenting... if so, I'm in for some serious trouble in the coming years. But thankfully the Prins' understand the dysfunction that is our dogs and love them (and us) regardless of the fact. We love you too, Erik and Ash and in return, we'll let Fran drench Moose in drool any day. :)

The night closed out with some Catch Phrase and the "hoes" dominated the "bros". I can't believe those boys thought they could compete with the brains of both the Prins and Kadzban operations... we devoured them and their little blonde heads. Liana watched in sheer admiration as her mommy and Mrs. Ashley took daddy and Mr. Erik down. If I taught my daughter nothing else yesterday, at least I know I taught her that girls ARE better than boys. How's that for a mother-daughter pep talk? ;)

After domination, we came home. Liana went to bed for night #3 of no bottle. (Yeah, that's a whole other post). And by 9:30, this mommy was herself in bed. I don't know if it was the delicious Strawberry Pina Coladas, the muscle relaxer (for that crappy back of mine), or the wonderfully long day, but I slept like a baby for 10 straight hours until my Liana alarm went off again right at 7:15.

Yesterday was everything (and more) that I had hoped it would be.

And I caught myself thinking more than once, "This is perfection. If I could have even just one day like this every week, my life would be so much better."

This day as a family proved to me all the more just how badly I need to get off weekends. It reassured me once again that I am making the right decision by looking for other jobs.
This day as a family gave me a feeling of peacefulness and hope. Peacefulness because I finally got some quality time with our family of three. And hope because I look forward to more days like this to come.

While I dread the fact that I have to work this Memorial Day weekend while everyone else is relaxing with their families, I find comfort in knowing that come Monday, I get a whole other day to spend with my two favorite people in the world. So bring it on, Saturday and Sunday because I'm going to own Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment